zaterdag 19 december 2009

Lisa Update

Thought it was time to give a little update on Lisa....

Two weeks after the nail was removed from Lisa's hock she was still hopping around on 3 legs and whatever I did and tried to make her walk on 4 legs, it all seemed hopeless.
Her leg looked strange:
It is swollen at the side and if you look at it from the side it is a little crooked so we did not trust it very much and because there's still a wire inside the leg we thought that maybe this was the reason for her not walking and for the way it looked....

I had an appointment on Wednesday but a few days before the appointment a friend of us did send us a device named "Healfast" to try out on Lisa.
I guess when you just don't know what to do anymore you are willing to try everything ;-) I used the device twice and except for an extra swollen leg after I removed it I did not notice a lot of difference.

Off to the vet on Wednesday and when I walked Lisa to the car I thought I saw her putting a little weight on her leg, not much but she was trying.
At the vet's I got her out of the car, put her on the ground and off she walked..... on 4 legs!!
I felt a little like going to the dentist with a tooth ache: once you are there, the pain is gone ;-)

The vet checked it out and although the leg still looked the same, she was using it so we discussed what to do: remove the wire as we had agreed upon when making the appointment or leave it there and see for how long it would be OK to stay in?
The x-rays showed no signs of something being wrong with the wire and although the bones were not healed completely she was at least using her leg.

Another operation could mean she would not use it again for weeks so I decided it should stay where it was and I would keep an eye on any signs of an infection....

Lisa is still not using that leg 100% and at the moment there doesn't seem to be much progress but we are still training and trying out things and hopefully have the best possible result.
I am not sure if the Healfast device has made a difference but I am sure gonna keep on using it on her!!
Here are some pictures of Lisa today when she was out for a walk in the snow:
I want to thank my friends who has helped us with Lisa and searched for options to try and use helping her getting back on 4 feet.
Special thanks also to the vet Hans de Jong who has always taken the time to answer any of my questions, discussing options and not giving in to my impatience ;-)
I hope it will even get better with time and training.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten