dinsdag 9 juni 2009

New family member ;-)

While I was unpacking my stuff yesterday I heared a sort of squeeky sound and although I first didn't paid much attention to it it got my attention when it got louder and louder.
I went over to the birdcage where we have two Kakariki males (who believe one of them is a female) and at the bottom of it there are 3 little Chinese quails.
They have been laying eggs for ages but none of them ever took the trouble to sit on them and usually we take out the eggs and get rid off them.
As they were laying so many eggs this time I decided to leave them there and hopefully this would stop them from laying new ones all the time.

Now when checking out where this little high sqeeky sound came from I noticed a tiny little Chinese quail was running around. It must have just came out of it's egg but none of the adult quails seemed to take care of it and because of the big Kakakriki's showing more than a little interest in the little 'fella' I decided it was safer to take him out and make sure he can grow up safely.
He's now in a little box with a little stuffed duck friend and seems to be OK.
He's so tiny it's amazing to see how self supported he already is. Couldn't resist making a picture of him while being on my hand to show how small he is
Make no mistake, it's quite a noisy little thing!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten